May 1, 2017
The Unity Victoria Board is pleased to announce that Rev. Nat Carter will be our Unity Victoria Transitional Ministry Consultant beginning May 17, 2017!
Rev. Nat will fill this role for a one year period, working with us to look at our past, come to terms with what is present, and inspire us to envision our future as a spiritual community, as we prepare to welcome a new full time Lead Minister.
Nat comes to us from Denver, Colorado, with 25 years of Ministry field experience, and a personal mission to deepen connections with God, self and others to heal lives and live dreams.
“Throughout my professional life, my focus has been to serve and empower others to grow into their divine potential. In ministry, my focus has been teaching positive, practical, mystical spirituality and creating a healthy relationship with the Judeo-Christian roots from which we are growing.”
Nat grew up in a Southern Baptist and Russian Orthodox home, was confirmed Lutheran at 13, and rarely attended church after that until his interest in spirituality was awakened through yoga. The teachings of divinity within, meditation and thought power led him to Unity and a positive reconnection with his roots.
His ecumenical studies as a Unity student in a Methodist seminary and with the Interim Ministry Network, as well as his study of world religions and yoga have deepened his appreciation of the commonalities of diverse spiritual traditions and the importance of committing to one’s own unique path.
His most recent reading and studies are in centering prayer, mindfulness meditation, brain science and Interim Ministry Training to help churches that are in transition and decline.
Nat has practiced and taught meditation and yoga since 1973. In the last 30 years, he has had extensive experience facilitating support groups, relationship counselling and training, men’s groups and personal therapy. He is nurtured by family, pets, gardening, golf, jazz, travel and motorcycling. Preparing for and conducting inspiring Sunday services are also a particular passion for him.
• 2013-present, Transitional Ministry Specialist with extended stays at Unity of Toledo OH, Unity of Prescott AZ and Unity of Hilton Head SC;
• 2003-13, senior minister, Unity Church of Denver CO;
• 2001-3, co-founder and co-minister, Unity of Woodinville WA;
• 1999-2001, senior minister, Unity of Bellevue WA;
• 1989-99, co-minister, Unity Church of Practical Christianity, Grand Rapids MI;
• 1986-89, co-minister, Unity Church of Kent WA;
• 1985-6, student minister, Unity of Rolla MO;
• 1984-5, chaplain, John Knox Village, Lee’s Summit MO;
• 1980, summer director, Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat, Paradise Island, Nassau, Bahamas;
• 1965-78, inner city high school teacher, Pittsburgh Public Schools, teaching kids through the medium of World Cultures, directing the Senior Class Play and coaching the swim team
• B.A. in Russian and East Asian Area Studies, Penn State;
• Masters equivalent in education;
• Unity Ministerial Education Program;
• 2 ½ years of a 3 year Masters of Divinity program, Saint Paul School of Theology, Kansas City MO;
• Unity Peace Skills Institute;
• Interim Ministry Network Training.
We look forward to sharing more with you about Nat and his forthcoming role with Unity Victoria, and answering any questions you have prior to his arrival in mid-May.
Unity Victoria Board
March 30, 2017
WE HAVE NEWS ABOUT OUR TRANSITIONAL MINISTRY CONSULTANT!
The Board of Unity Victoria Spiritual Community is pleased to announce that we have identified an individual to act as our Transitional Ministry Consultant. We are currently finalizing his contract, but we can say that he will be starting with us mid-May, and comes with extensive experience in this area.
Details about him, his background and samples of his meditations and talks will be forthcoming as soon as we have finalized the details. Stay tuned!
In the meantime, he has requested some help in finding an apartment here in Victoria. Ideally, it would be no less than 600 square feet, bachelor or one-bedroom, with a budget of $1000-$1200 per month for rent. He enjoys walking and biking so a downtown location would be wonderful. Any leads you know of, please forward to the board email: firstname.lastname@example.org. He would also really appreciate donations of used furniture and household items to use while he is here. A sign up sheet for donated items will be available at the Welcome Table after Sunday Service. Please help us make him feel welcome in our beautiful City and Unity Community!